Tuesday, November 06, 2012

The end of this blog - goodbye

Seaplane over North Head, SydneyWell this blog has come to its end. I can no longer live up to its title. I am leaving Sydney and have sold most of my Leicas. It's been an interesting seven years or so since I started posting my film pictures of Sydney. But even when I started, digital was dominant. Now it is even worse - film has been just about wiped out. The labs have almost all closed. I can no longer afford to develop prints, and Kodak has stopped producing my favourite film, Ektachrome. I've enjoyed photographing Sydney, though I recognise that I am just a hamfisted amateur. I make no claim to artistic merit, but I think a few of my pictures have captured some of the beauty and soul of this wonderful city.
Now it is time to move on. I am heading back to my home town.
I thought I would have received more comments on this blog than I did (hardly any) ... maybe I should have posted pictures of food. So long!

16 comments:

Kaushal Parikh said...

Some really nice images here!

neilboland said...

Nooooo!

Michael said...

Sorry chaps. Didn't realise anyone was looking at the pics, but as I said, it's getting harder to process film (hence the preponderance of B&W). And now I'm heading off overseas.

Anonymous said...

I only recently found your Blog so it is sad to hear it is closing.
Thanks for sharing your amazing work, sorry for not commenting earlier.

Michael said...

I'm still sneaking a few in before I leave, but leaving the farewell post at the top.

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear you've decided to stop.

I love this blog for it's authenticity and father role model.

Good luck with your future endeavor.

Scott.
www.mrnguyen.com

Anna said...

:( I'll miss your photos a lot! I hope you leave the blog up online at least.

Michael said...

Thanks guys. Hope blogger.com leaves the pics up for a while.

Nazneen Tonse said...

Oh darn. Really liked your photography. Was admiring the Beijing ones too and wanted to ask you to put a Follow-on-Google button on your blogs so that we could be updated easily every time you post.

Sue said...

I'm sorry it's the end; I've been looking at the pictures for some years, being an Aussie who has lived in England for two thirds of my life.

I understand your reasons, but will miss coming here.

I hope everything works out for you in your new life.

Jason said...

You should consider adding your images to the National Library of Australia's "Trove" database. As an historical record of Sydney in the early years of the 21st C, your images would be a valuable addition. For info on transferring your images from Flickr to Trove, take a look at http://trove.nla.gov.au/general/help-on-participating-in-trove#flickr. Cheers...

Sasoriza said...

Just now happened to discover your blog, and sad to hear of its ending, considering the timing. Hope you'll leave it up for future explorers of Sydney-through-photography!

All the best and wish you well!

--Todd

Jon FB said...

Yes, great blog. Will miss these great pictures of Sydney's secret spaces.

Michael said...

Thanks - I will look at Trove when I get to the UK!

cheers

Michael

Anonymous said...

I am a fellow Sydney Sider.

Being checking on your photo blog for a while (many years in fact) also your Joseph Rock related site. I am sorry to know that you are going to stop posting, but I can understand.

When Sydney gets to me, looking at your photos made me realize how beautiful this city can truly be and made me feel somewhat grateful that I have a chance to live here.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Michael Woodhead said...

Thanks anon. I'm starting to look longingly at my own pics of warm and sunny Sydney now that I'm sat in wet and cold Leeds!